THE COURSE OF SCIENTIFIC CAREER
• Full professor, 2009.
• Associate professor, 2003.
• PhD with habilitation in Medical Sciences: Evaluation of usefulness of homogenic (allogenic) aortic grafts in the surgical treatment of aneurysms of the ascending aorta, 1995.
• PhD in Medical Sciences: Analysis of recommendations and results of surgical treatment of hypertension resulting from renal artery stenosis. Supervisor: Antoni Dziatkowiak, PhD with habilitation in Medicine, 1978.
• Head of the Clinical Department of Cardiovascular Surgery and Transplantology, 2014.
• Director of the Institute of Cardiology of the Jagiellonian University Medical College, 2008–2014.
• Head of the Department and Vice-director of the Institute of Cardiology, Jagiellonian University Medical College, 2001.
• The title of specialist in the field of cardiac surgery, 1991.
• Second-degree specialization in general surgery, 1979.
• First-degree specialization in general surgery, 1973.
• Postgraduate internship at Sonnenberg Hospital in Łódź, 1969.
• Graduation from the Medical University of Łódź – diploma of Doctor of Medicine, 1968.
• Clinic for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Heinrich-Heine University of Düsseldorf (Germany), under the supervision of Prof. Wolfgang Bircks, 1983–1984.
• Cardiac Surgery Clinic, University of Erlagen (Germany), Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin (Germany), 1992/repeatedly.
• Currently, collaboration with Herzzentrum Nordrhein-Westfalen of the University Bochum in Bad Oeynhausen (Germany) – Director: Prof. R.Körfer; Herz-und Gefäßchirurgische Klinik in Bad Neustadt (Germany) – Director: Prof. R. Hacker.
• Additionally, internships in Hamburg, Duisburg, Milan, California.
PARTICIPATION IN ORGANIZATIONS (POLITICAL, SCIENTIFIC, SOCIAL, RELIGIOUS, ASSOCIATIONS)
• President of the Section of Cardiac Surgery and vice-president of the Kraków Branch of the Polish Cardiac Society, where he previously served as Vice-president of the Polish Cardiac Society,
• Member of the Board of the Association of Polish Surgeons,
• Member of the Polish Angiological Society,
• Member of the Polish Transplantation Society,
• Vice-president of the Polish Association of Cardio-Thoracic Surgeons (The European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery).
• President of the Heart Surgeons Club, which he founded in 1986 under the name Polish Club of Young Cardiac Surgeons.
• Member of the Polish Cardiac Surgeons Club.
• Deputy member of the permanent Jagiellonian University Senate Committee for Distinctions and Awards.
• Member of the Commission for European Integration of the Jagiellonian University Medical College.
• Regional consultant in the field of clinical transplantology for the Małopolska region 1999–2002 (appointed by the Minister of Health and Social Welfare).
• Member of Clinical Treatment Sciences Section of the Committee for Scientific Research 2000–2002.
• Regional consultant in the field of Cardiac Surgery for the Małopolskie and Świętokrzyskie Provinces, 2002.
• Member of the team of experts for the development of a program of specialization in the field of cardiac surgery (appointed by the Małopolska Governor for Advisory Council for Health Protection – by the regulation of the Minister of Health), 2002.
• Member of the Permanent Rector Commission for Clinical Matters (appointed by the decision of the Rector of the Jagiellonian University), 2002.
Co-organizer of the International Symposium on Cardiac Surgery in 1997 to celebrate the opening of the new Clinic of Cardiovascular Surgery and Transplantology, Jagiellonian University Medical College and blessing it by Pope John Paul II.
• Representative of the Rector of the Jagiellonian University for cooperation with the Municipality and the City of Zakopane.
• Member of the charity club called Lion’s Club International Kraków – Old Town from 1990.
• Gazeta Krakowska’s Man of the Year, 2007.
• Award of the Minister of Health and Social Welfare For Services for Health Care, 2007
• Małopolanin of the Year, Award of the Association of Municipalities and Districts of Małopolska, 2008.
• Member of the Kraków Club, 2008.